Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

La línea Púrpura / My Own French Connection


March 27 will be the closing day for my exhibition Les dieux interdits at Ars Atelier in Paris. I will be far from home and my show, but very close to the soul of my "very french connection" thanks to La linea Púrpura; my traveler's book for my recent trips.


Beyond the official information commonly given about the meaning of this famous anonymous French painting, there are quite a few other interpretations. Some point to the obviously scandalous meaning, others toward a hidden visual message and, of course, another to a very strong one where history and politics play the main role.
Wolfram Fleischhauer' novel, La linea Púrpura takes this political and historical approach, promising us a delicious treat. We learn that one of the two ladies in this Fontainebleau Schools piece was Gabrielle d'Estrées, widely reputed to be the mistress of King Henry IV of France. She died mysteriously a few days before her wedding with the King. We are left dying to know more.

2 comments:

  1. I thank my friend Roger Salas for sending me this book from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oYEEEEE.... Estuvo hasta ayer!
    Saludos desde Paris

    ReplyDelete